The Construction Manager is responsible for overseeing any site deliverables deemed necessary as part of the project scope and ensuring they are completed safely, resulting in no harm to people, plant or our environment.
This may include managing the mobilization of a site team to complete the installation of specific equipment and/or system or, running an operational site; ensuring availability of the supplied equipment/system is in line with client expectations and that project KPI’s are met. Control of contractors is a key function of this role, as most of our site workforce are sub-contractors.
Control of all site documentation, inclusive of H&S file and all CDM requirements are also encompassed within the position. Method statements & risk assessments must be developed for all operations and meet the client’s expectations. The role also requires close liaison with the Client and the Project Manager to clearly communicate progress and any changes to scope, risks or delays, as and when they occur.
- Management & direction of site-based teams, including Site Managers, where applicable.
- Management & direction of contractors.
- Create, manage, and monitor all site-based documentation, including Risk Assessments, Method Statements & Lift Plans
- Creation, management & updating of H&S files & all site CDM requirements.
- Provide advice and guidance on the duration and logic associated with site activities to enable a robust site installation schedule to be produced.
- Review of contractor proposals to ensure alignment with project scope.
- Manage purchasing of equipment, plant, spares to ensure sites run smoothly.
- Monitor / control and provide periodic status reports to Project Manager and advice to the Project Team on development progress, schedule, possible risks, necessary modifications of methodology, and any other issues regarding the project’s alignment with the site methodology employed.
- Facilitate client meetings, reporting progress against the agreed schedule, as well as any issues or risks.
- Review and manage reports from site representatives and other interested parties and prepare responses and actions as appropriate.
- Resolve any issues with regards to Quality on live sites, as well as sites with active warranty.
- Review and understand contractual terms and conditions to ensure the site-based activities are aligned with the requirements of the contract and escalate/report any deviations as necessary.
- Develop lasting relationships with client personnel & evaluate and appraise clients’ needs
- Implement / drive areas for improvement of internal processes along with strategy to improve process for future site works.
- HND/Degree qualified in a technical or engineering discipline.
- Formal Site Management qualification (CSCS Black or equiv.)
- Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) qualification
- EMSS Safety Passport qualification.
- NEEBOSH qualification.
- Slinger/Signaller/Banksmen qualification.
- An experienced Site Manager (at least 2 years), with evidence of having produced key site documents such as Risk Assessments, Method Statements and Lift Plans.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering projects under both standard and non-standard contract terms.
- Knowledge of COSHH.
- Understand engineering drawings and specifications.
- Confident decision maker and able to work well under pressure at high velocity.
- Able to motivate and encourage others.
- Able to resolve conflicts.
- An ability to solve problems and work with velocity.
- Possess excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Be able to co-ordinate work carried out by different people / departments and organisations.
- Strong computer skills including experience of MS Office applications.
- Able to travel in the UK and overseas as required (expectation of intermittent travel).
Understanding of conveyors or bespoke, engineered, technical solutions.
Site management experience in heavy engineering (large lifts and heavy steelwork).
Industry relevant experience – clients, competitors, supply chain.
Relevant costing knowledge of conveyors / similar industries.
Experience of working with NEC3 / government infrastructure projects.
Accredited Leadership & Management training
ATEX / DSEAR Awareness
ISO 9001 & 14001 knowledge