Purpose of Role
The Fabrication department is critical to the business as the main interface between the Project department and other business functions. The Fabrication Manager function incorporates the following:-
- Manage, co-ordinate and expedite all aspects of the production management of all disciplines and functions within the fabrication facility.
- Liaise with on-site project team ensuring all issues are captured, actioned and documented.
- To oversee, monitor, maintain and report production progress to the Fabrication Director as well as Project Manager(s).
Health, Safety, Environment and Quality (HSEQ)
The Company is committed to achieving a high standard of HSEQ in all of its activities and the post holder will be expected to contribute to maintaining standards to ensure compliance with all appropriate legislation operating at all time within the requirements to ISO 9001, 14001 and 45001.
All employees have Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality responsibilities to themselves: to those they manage, to their colleagues, to customers and to everyone affected by the Company’s business activities.
- The Fabrication Manager is fully responsible for familiarising themselves with the site HSEQ documentation, systems and procedures relevant to their area(s) of responsibility and for ensuring that they are understood and applied to everyone within their respective area/s of responsibility.
- Shall ensure that only safe working practices are applied by persons within their area(s) of responsibility, with care for the environment and due consideration for quality requirements.
- Shall ensure, so far as reasonably practicable, that all persons who come within their area(s) of responsibility receive adequate information, instruction or supervision necessary for them to prevent or avoid risks to their health and safety.
- Shall ensure that a high standard of housekeeping is maintained at all times throughout their area(s) of control.
- Shall ensure that work equipment, premises and protective clothing and equipment provided within their area(s) of control are used as required and maintained in an efficient state and in good working order and repair.
- Carry out HSEQ inspections as required.
- Be involved in any HSEQ investigations to establish root cause and implement corrective, preventive actions.
- Shall ensure that HSEQ problems which cannot be resolved immediately are raised quickly with their Line Manager.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Achieve budget and maximise efficiencies; Ensure value for money when providing services to the production facility.
- To oversee, co-ordinate all fabrication and production processes inline with company statutory codes, standards and specifications.
- To co-ordinate and supervise all fabrication & production activities defined within project and production requirements.
- Plan and organise production schedules in accordance with project plans and assess and allocate resources to meet target dates, and liaise with Project departments.
- Work with and lead on build methodologies for all fabrications across the business units and departments.
- Give and align support to other BU’s.
- Organise all discipline section leaders within the fabrication hall in line with production & project requirements.
- Liaise with and oversee other integral departments such as DC, QC, safety and facilities as to operational requirements.
- Work with all departments and contractors to forecast the production labour requirements, to meet project requirements.
- Monitoring the working of any normal & overtime on the project and documenting all timesheets.
- Monitoring of daily man hour spend to ensure completion with agreed targets, and report back into projects.
- Report progress on production activities, identifying and reporting problems, and initiate rectification plans to mitigate and related issues.
- To ensure that reports and information is provided for the department and that the agreed targets are maintained, in line with company requirements.
- Ensure that subcontractors are working to project requirements and liaise with Project Managers.
- Develop common policies and standard operating procedures and encourage innovation and efficiencies.
- To ensure that complaints are dealt with on a timely basis and that they are fully investigated with corrective action plans where necessary.
- To arrange adequate training for departmental personnel.
- Participate in Root Cause Analysis accident investigations.
- To incorporate apprentices into the fabrication department and assist in learning processes.
- Liaise with Fabrication Director / Project & Manager(s)/ Section Leaders on items of plant equipment and materials (as well as resources) required prior to project commencement and arising during project.
- Initiate Purchase Requisitions for items of plant equipment and materials to meet project requirements.
- Ensure that resources and equipment are serviced/calibrated/inspected according to manufacturers or best practice guidelines.
- Excellent leadership skills
- Management of teams
- An awareness of strategic response to external influences is vital
- Ensure customer satisfaction
- Ability to interpret and present complex information
- Self-motivated and committed to self and team development
Qualification and Experience
An Engineering qualification – preferably in marine and/or fabrication applications
Experience of project managing large projects
Preferably experience gained in Marine/ Oil and Gas/Construction industry.