Job Title: Software Engineer
Hours of Work: 08:30 – 17:00 (flexible)
This role is a HYBRID role based in Middlesbrough (north east) – Please only apply if you are currently located in this area and are able to commute.
Jackson Hogg are delighted to be working with a client of ours based in Middlesbrough on their search for a PHP Developer to join their team!
About the Role:
This person would be reporting to the Head of Software Engineering, and will be responsible for developing and maintaining our PHP-based backends and APIs, as well as their VueJS-based single page application frontend.
You’ll work as part of a small team developing the applications which run our business, where the team’s mission is to improve the organisation’s ways of working through an innovation and software development approach.
This is a relatively new team with exciting greenfield projects on the roadmap, so you’ll be a critical team member contributing to how our architecture and approach evolves.
This is a fantastic opportunity for engineers who like to work as part of a team while being given the time and freedom to learn and develop their skills.
The role is predominantly office based in Middlesbrough, however hybrid working is also available.
- Designing and implement clean, maintainable, and efficient code for web applications
- Researching and documenting the technical approach for given requirements
- Debugging, troubleshooting and resolving bugs and performance issues
- Writing automated tests to ensure code quality and reliability
- Supporting team members and working collaboratively towards a joint team goal
- Performing peer code reviews and providing constructive feedback
- Working from and tracking progress in our agile project management software
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the team’s processes and approaches
- Strong knowledge with PHP and its modern ecosystem, including PHP 8.0+, composer, frameworks such as Symfony/Zend/Laminas/Laravel, commonplace libraries such as PHPUnit, and standard approaches such as PSR standards
- Experienced writing object-oriented code following the SOLID principles, with an understanding of common design patterns and how to implement them
- Confident with automated testing in PHP including unit tests and integrating tests
- Experience developing systems with a SQL-based database (MySQL, Postgres, etc), including knowledge of query optimisation
- Experience with component-based UI frameworks such as React or Vue
- Good understanding of web security (e.g. OWASP Top 10) and how to prevent common vulnerabilities when developing PHP applications
- Comfortable with Linux and working from the command line
- Confident using HTML and CSS
- Familiarity with agile (scrum) methodologies
- Familiarity with caching strategies across web applications
- Experience of with Doctrine or other data mapper based ORMs
- Understanding of modern web software architectures including microservices and serverless
- Knowledge including web accessibility best practices
- Solid grasp of API design paradigms, including the difference between REST and RPC APis
- Experience with cloud IaaS providers such as AWS, GCP or Azure
- 25 days holiday + 1 Xmas shopping day + bank holidays
- Private pension
- Private health care
- Profit share scheme
- Choice of equipment i.e. Linux or Mac